St Anne’s Church

The church received its present character in the baroque renovation in 1720’s. In addition to the large central nave, an oratory is to be found behind the main altar. It is intended for Franciscan friars to recite the Liturgy of the Hours there. The choir stalls date from the end of the 15th or the beginning of the 16th centuries and have been recently restored.

In addition to the main altar, the church has six side altars. Starting from the entrance, the first altar on the left is dedicated to Jesus’ name. Its original altarpiece is among the ones still retained inItaly. The altar in the side chapel is dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua. The last altar on the left is dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes.

On the main altar the original retable is missing, a polyptych of Clima de Conegliano, Virgin Mary with Child and Saints, which is still in Italy. Among the saints is also St. Anne, the mother of Virgin Mary and the patron of the church. Her feast day, together with her husband Joachim, is celebrated on 26 June. On the wall to the left of the main altar, there is a painting of Virgin Mary among four female saints, holy helpers: St. Magdalene, St. Catherine of Alexandria, St. Apollonia, and St. Lucia.

The right side of the church nave is rounded off by the altar of Lamentation (Pieta), where the original altar piece is missing as well. The next altar in the direction towards the church door is dedicated to St. Andrew, the patron saint of the fishermen’s confraternity. The last altar on the right is dedicated to the Franciscan saint St. Didacus. Until the Second World War a reliquiary with the bones of Blessed Monaldus da Capodistria was placed on this altar. The fourteen Stations of the Cross on the walls were painted by Lorenzo Pedrini in 1746. Directly over the church entrance is the organ loft with the organ of the Venetian master Francesco Merlini of 1805. It is a fully preserved Venetian organ with the original disposition. In the church one can also see the procession signs with the statues of patron saints of various confraternities and gold-plated lanterns used in festive processions.


Visit us

We will be very pleased if you visit us in the centre of koper, have a look at the renovated friary and make a stop at the church. we look forward to seeing you.


How to reach us?

Mass Schedule

Sundays 9:00 AM, 11.00 AM

Weekdays 7:00 PM
During winter time 6:00 PM


The Franciscan presence in Koper reaches as far back as the very beginnings of the Franciscan order since the first brothers came to Koper soon after the death of St. Francis of Assisi.

Read more